Door County Folk Festival Overview
The Door County Folk Festival is one of the most fun-filled, enjoyable and educational dance weekends held in the Midwest. Each year, the Festival attracts hundreds of participants to Door County, Wisconsin, from all around the U.S., Canada and often other countries. The Festival Weekend begins on Wednesday, July 12th and will run from through Sunday, July 16th. This Annual event will continue a tradition of enjoyable, extended July weekends in which one can dance (late into the night if one wishes), sing, play, learn, share experiences, eat, party and make new friends in a congenial, relaxed community atmosphere.
The weekend offers a wide range of options for international folk dancers, contra dancers, square dancers, clog dancers, singers and musicians of all levels of experience and interest, as well as activities and accommodations for their non-dancing family, friends and significant others.
The Festival engages many talented instructors, callers, group leaders, singers and musicians from the Midwest and beyond to lead events.
The 2017 schedule provides a variety of learning and entertainment opportunities including dance workshops, dance parties and youth activities.
- For Ethnic Folk Dancing:
- Dance workshop instructors include: Steve Kotansky (Valley Cottage, NY) and a team of Regional Ethnic Folk Dance Group Leaders
- Singing Workshop instructors: Tri Bratovchedki
- Staff musicians include: Tantsova Grupa (Nashville) and Nick Bratkovich (Tulsa)
- For Contra/Square Dancing:
- Dance callers/instructors incude: Jonathan Sivier (Champaign), Meg Dedolph (Oak Park), Lynn Szatkowski (Berlin/Princeton), and Paul Collins (Chicago) and others TBD
- Staff musicians include: Rare Privilege (Milwaukee & Madison), the Cosmic Otters (Chicago), Jason Businewski (Milwaukee), the Door County Folk Alliance (Sturgeon Bay), and others TBD
- Your choice of Twenty-three (23) dance workshops (Ethnic Folk Dance, Ethnic Singing, Contras & Squares, English Country Dance, Pat Shaw Centennial Dances, Clog Dancging, Traditional Dances of Illinois, Indiana & Michigan)
- Ethnic Folk Dance Parties every night, with live music parties on Friday & Saturday (Baileys Harbor)
- Friday evening Family Barn Dance led by the Door County Folk Alliance (Ephraim) (FREE)
- Friday & Saturday night Contra/Square Dance Parties with live music (Ephraim)
- Saturday evening Traditional Door County Fish Boil Dinner (Baileys Harbor)
- Saturday night Larry Hoey Memorial folk Dance Olympics (Baileys Harbor)
- Free Mini Concerts showcasing Festival Talent (Thu-Sister Bay), (Fri-Baileys Harbor)
- Free Youth Activities (featuring dance, music, singing, nature, creativity, etc.) (Fri-Sat) (Sister Bay)
Other Activities in Door County
The Door Peninsula is mid-America's favorite vacation area and is located in north east Wisconsin between Green Bay and Lake Michigan.
Door County (often called "the Cape Cod" of the Midwest) has something for everyone, including: sandy beaches, rocky shores, scenic hiking trails & vistas, bike trails, canoeing, sailing & boating, state parks, fishing, "pick your own" orchards, guided and self-guided scenic tours, museums, art galleries, music & theater, water sports, golf, unique shopping opportunities, an outdoor drive-in movie park, and a large selection of restaurants including one with "Goats on the Roof" (which incidentally is the title of a song written by the Festival's Founder, Gerhard Bernhard), and it has the Door County Contra Dance Weekend and the Door County Folk Festival.